Monday, October 26, 2009

The Laws of Motion Behind Tennis!

BlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlogBlog

Alright so guys, recently in Physics class, I had learned about Newton's Three Laws of Motion, which had led me to wonder how these laws impact my everyday life. So...I have set out on an adventure to find these laws in action! And you can join me in my fun adventure through my WEEKLY BLOG.

Week 1: October 24, 2009

Newton's First Law: The Law of Inertia
If a=0, then F=0...or...if F=0, then a=0.


First up is the short video clip of an individual [me] hitting a tennis serve. As with all "good" tennis serves, it begins with the toss of the tennis ball; the law of inertia is displayed here. When the ball is released from the individuals hand, it maintains a constant motion upward, until an unequal force (gravity and the swing of the racket) is exerted upon the object. Thus, interrupting the path of the fuzzy green ball.

Newton's Second Law: The Law of Mass, Acceleration, and Force
Acceleration = Net Force/Mass...or in other words...Acceleration is varies jointly with Net Force and inversely with Mass.


Newton's Second Law of motion is seen through the tennis serve as well. As the ball is thrown up, the server is getting into a position in which it is easier to swing toward the ball with a greater acceleration. Though, since I did not have any speedometer of any sort, it is quite hard for me to actually calculate the acceleration. However, the average mass of the tennis ball that I had hit was about 57.5 grams, so to calculate the force, all we would have to do is find out the acceleration of my swing and multiply them together.

Newton's Third Law: The Law of Interaction
If object 1 exerts a Force F on object 2, then object 2 exerts a force -F on object 1.



















Lastly, the third law of motion is seen when the individual was rallying with the wall. The amount of force that was exerted onto the tennis was the opposite of the amount of force exerted by the tennis ball onto the racket. So lets say if the tennis racket had impacted the ball with a force of 3984 Newtons, the tennis ball would have impacted the tennis racket for a force of -3984 Newtons.

No comments:

Post a Comment